While it's not always necessary to write thank you notes when leaving a position, there are several situations in which it's appropriate to say farewell in a thank you note to your coworkers or managers. Show gratitude for the experience you gained during your employment by using one (or more) of these sample farewell notes for inspiration.
Thanking Management for Past Opportunities
Consider writing a farewell note to your supervisor to express appreciation for the opportunity to work with him or her before leaving to pursue other interests. You may even want to write a similar note to those at higher levels of management in your organization. Doing so ensures you leave on a positive note with a final impression of professionalism.
- I would like to thank you for the opportunity to be a member of the Acme Company team for the past five years. You have been an outstanding supervisor, and I really appreciate the fact that you were willing to serve as a mentor to me during this stage in my career. I realize that your guidance has a lot to do with my success, and I can't thank you enough for all you have done to help me in my career. Best wishes for continued success.
- As I leave to pursue my new career venture, I want to take the time to thank you for your guidance and support during my employment. Working under your capable supervision and direction has been a memorable experience, and I have learned a great deal from you. The skills and abilities you helped me develop will empower me to reach my professional goals more quickly in the future. I wish you the very best in all your endeavors.
Saying Farewell When Changing Roles
When accepting an internal promotion or transfer, you won't be leaving the company but you will be leaving your day-to-day team. It's a good idea to take the time to write a special farewell message to members of the team you are leaving as you transition to your new role.
- As I move into a new level of responsibility with our company, I'll always remember the help and support of my colleagues in the marketing department. I've enjoyed being a part of this group, and I'll miss our team spirit and enthusiasm that made each project seem easy to achieve. Thanks for being such terrific team members and coworkers over the years. Best wishes to one and all!
- As I prepare to move into the assistant manager position at our Dallas location, I wanted to take the time to let you know how much I have enjoyed working with you on the Houston sales team these past few years. It has been terrific to have such wonderful team members to work with every day, and I greatly appreciate each of you. It has been a privilege.
Offering Thanks for a Send-Off Celebration
Depending on the reason you are leaving your job, your coworkers may throw a going-away party and/or provide you with a farewell gift. It's certainly a good idea to express your appreciation to the people you worked with side by side for so long when you're leaving, especially when they go out of the way to let you know how much you'll be missed.
- Thanks so much for organizing a going away party for me at Corner Pub last week. I have certainly enjoyed sharing many lunches and after-work happy hours there with the team during my time with the company, so it was the perfect location to choose for a send-off party! I was really surprised to find everyone gathered there when I walked in to meet you on Thursday. It means so much to me to have such great coworkers and to experience such a warm send-off. Even though I won't be in the office every day, I look forward to keeping in touch with you!
- Thank you so much for the generous going away gift. The X widget you gave me will be very helpful as I start my next adventure, and it means so much to have such thoughtful coworkers. I have so appreciated being part of the ABC department at XYZ company for the past X years. The fabulous people with whom I have had the opportunity to work are a big part of why that is. I will miss you all. Please stay in touch.
Saying Thanks and Goodbye to Team Members
Even if your coworkers don't throw a party or send a gift, it's still a good idea to send a note of thanks when leaving the team or organization. You can send a general note to the overall group or write individual messages to people with whom you worked particularly closely.
- Being part of the finance department team has given me many pleasant memories to cherish as I move into a new season of my life. I'll probably never forget how welcome everyone made me feel on my very first day here. Best wishes to you all! I hope we can say au revoir rather than goodbye and stay in touch as we pursue our personal goals.
- Thanks so much for being such a terrific coworker and friend over the years. I have greatly appreciated your professionalism and support as we worked side-by-side on the numerous projects we have worked on over the years. You and I have been through a lot of adventures during the time we've spent together on the event planning team. I will miss seeing you daily, but do plan to keep in touch even though I am leaving the firm. Best wishes for continued success! Let's set a date for lunch early next month.
Saying Farewell Upon Retirement
If you are fortunate enough to be retiring from work, take a few minutes to write a farewell message letting your soon-to-be former coworkers know that you have appreciated working with them and to wish them well.
- As I prepare to transition from my role with Mystery Manufacturing into retirement, I have come to realize just how fortunate I have been to be part of such a wonderful organization and team for the past 15 years. It has been a privilege to work with each of you, and to represent a company that places such a strong emphasis on providing quality services that meet the needs of customers. Please accept my heartfelt expression of gratitude for the wonderful experience and memories. Best wishes for continued success.
- While I'm excited about finally having the time to do all those things I've dreamed about for years, my thoughts are tinged with sadness as well. During my employment here, my coworkers and managers have taught me so much about dedication, loyalty, teamwork and enthusiasm. I have enjoyed being a part of such a cohesive team and wish each of you all the success you so richly deserve.
General Thank You Thoughts
Of course, it's not always the case that you have a lot of positive things to say when leaving a position. If you're looking for a polite way to say goodbye and thank you but feel the tone of the other sample messages here might be a bit more upbeat than what is appropriate for your situation, consider one of these options:
- Working here has been an unbelievable experience that has honed my strength and determination to succeed. I want to thank everyone with whom I've had the privilege to interact and wish you all the very best in your professional and personal lives.
- Being part of the Super Widget Company team has definitely been an adventure. I would like to say thank you to everyone I've worked with during the time I have spent as a member of the administrative services team. Best wishes for success.
Tips for Writing Farewell Messages
Use these tips to help you prepare your goodbye messages quickly and easily:
- It's always best to keep written correspondence to coworkers or managers on a professional level, even when you are writing to individuals with whom you may also have a personal relationship.
- Focus on shared memories or specific ways the other person was helpful to you.
- Be sincere and keep it brief.
- Include some form of contact information if you want people to be able to keep in touch with you.
- Write your message in draft form and read it aloud. This can help you discover grammatical errors or awkward wording that needs to be fixed.
- When you are pleased with the results, re-write the thank you in a finished format on nice stationery. A handwritten note offers a great personal touch. Consider using one of these free printable thank you cards.
Benefits of Appropriate Thank You Correspondence
The way you conduct yourself when you leave an organization leaves a lasting impression on coworkers and management alike. Keep in mind that you may encounter your former coworkers again, possibly in another job, a client-vendor relationship, a professional organization, socially, or otherwise. You're also likely to need a professional reference or letter of recommendation at some point in the future. Thanking the right people by writing appropriate farewell notes can help make sure you're remembered fondly and positively.