Although copies of all Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax forms can be obtained at local offices, downloadable W-9 forms found online make it possible to get forms quickly and easily from any location where Internet access and a printer are available. Here are instructions for where to find and how to use an official W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification form.
Where to Find W-9 Forms
The official IRS W-9 form for the current year is available on the IRS website in a PDF version. It can be edited, saved and printed.
- To access the W-9 form, simply visit the IRS link that leads directly to the form.
- Note that you will need Adobe Reader to access the form. If you don't have the program, you can download it free from get.adobe.com/reader.
- The form can be filled out electronically; unlike many PDF forms, this one allows changes to be saved.
- It's also possible to print a blank form that can be completed by hand.
- Whether forms are completed electronically or hard copy, it is essential to provide all requested information.
- Note that forms that forms that are completed electronically still must be printed, as a signature is required.
Only Use Official IRS Forms
Do not use anything other than official W-9 forms when gathering taxpayer identification information from independent contractors and companies with which you are doing business. If for some reason you are not able to download or print forms directly from the IRS website, printed forms are available at no cost from all IRS offices. Use the online IRS office locator tool to find the facility closest to you.